About Me

The Pacific Crest Trail runs ~2,650 miles from Mexico to Canada, and I want to share my journey with all of you! Please subscribe by email to receive entries automatically when I write them! Bon Voyage!

Thursday, July 11, 2013

4th of July on the PCT

How can I explain that I had the best 4th of July if my life with total strangers? Well, it just happened. 

I was coming out of Mosquito Hell with Rocky and T Rex into the gorgeous Sonora Pass. The sky began to fill with clouds, dark and dangerous clouds. I ran down the trail to the mountain pass where the highway would be. I would need to hitch to a small redneck torn called Bridgeport that was 40 miles away. I had a package at the post office which closed at 4 pm. It was 2pm and I had two hours to catch a ride and get my package. The PO would be closed on the 4th and I didn't want to wait Til the 5th to get the box. 

I got to the highway at 2:15. Caught a ride just as grape-sized hail began to fall. The hail was so heavy that the car had to pull over off road under trees to escape the pounding and potentially broken windshield. 

We get to the PO at 3:30pm and I find out my new shoes didn't arrive. Oh well. 

Since it was 4th of July weekend, motel rates were high! I called up a few places and they mentioned $139. I cannot afford that. Finally the rain stopped and a motel told me they had a trailer for $ 80 and I accepted. My own trailer with a temperpedic queen size bed. 

The holiday was just around the bend. Would I be alone?

I went to the grocery and found 2 hikers that were unknown to me. Two Swiss hikers that spoke of hot springs on the outside of town that they were going to stay at. 

I told them I would meet them there on the 4th after I be checked out of my hotel room. 

The next morning i woke up to the sound of a cattle parade and loudspeakers. I checked out of my awesome trailer and made my way to the town square to buy a 32 oz milkshake which I finished quickly. 

I began walking to the outskirts of town to an unlabeled dirt road. The hot springs were up this steep dirt road I did not want to hike on my day off. A few cars passed me on the way up and waved hello. Then, some people began shooting assault rifles into the mountains at little targets. A sheriff rolled by and gave them no trouble. I continued to walk up the road. It was beginning to sprinkle. Then out of nowhere, two ATV riders appear and offer me a ride. Before I know it, I'm off-roaring in the mountains on the back of this hell ride. I arrive to the hot springs and there waiting is several naked couples enjoying the alkaline hot springs. I set up my tent off in the sage and joined up with the locals. I got offered free beer and food. I met people from Santa Cruz a couple from LA. we were all laughing and joking around when the rain started pouring. What did we care, we were in a hot spring with nude people. 

More people arrived and asked me tons of questions about the trail. It wasn't until the two Swiss hikers showed up and joined the tub. This was forming into a fantastic evening. 

The town of Bridgeport was hosting a firework show. They fundraise for the show every six months so you know they will put on a good show. 

What made this night unforgettable was the sunset. The storm blew over but caused rainbows and beams of light. It's indescribable but I took some photos. They are uploaded in the previous blog entry. 

We were in awe. We couldn't discuss anything. For a nature lover, it was the pinnacle of experience. I have never seen such a sight. 

The sky got dark and the firework show started. We watched fireworks from out natural hot tubs. We told stories and shared our moments in nature that night. It was the best Fourth of July you could ask for and I met these amazing people just hours before. I took an ATV ride to get there and a quick hitch back to the trail. I was hoping to catch my comrades who I left two days before and within ten minutes Rocky and T Rex are in sight. Reunion completed 



1 comment: