About Me

The Pacific Crest Trail runs ~2,650 miles from Mexico to Canada, and I want to share my journey with all of you! Please subscribe by email to receive entries automatically when I write them! Bon Voyage!

Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Wild Turkey Next to my Tent

So it began at the crack of dawn. I got on the 6am shuttle to Campo, the city with the trail head. I was a little nervous getting there but I saw the monument. It was made of wood, not stone or marble like I thought. I took my photo and started. It was 6:30.
The first 8 miles were a breeZe as it was cool and hikers were dawning their tools for the first time in proper usage. There I was, walking the pct. I only brought pita bread, bananas and avocados thinking that would be plenty of food. I carried around 80 oz of water, enough right for one day, especially since I was returning to Lake Morena, my initial starting point. Dinner would be served around 5 so all I had to do was walk 20 miles. I met Joat, Sherpa, but I especially connected with Hiker Dave. We talked about film, 90s cartoons, and how we wouldn't mind hint in a place as beautiful as this.

The desert is not to be messed with. All of the creeks were DRY. This is rare for the PCT. so I would have to carry enough water the whole day. The trail was kinda flat but just as it got water, the incline shot up. My energy level took a dive. My water started runnin out and we had 10 miles to go.

A fork in the road, we took right because it didn't say go left. The footprints vanished, the signs vanished and we realize we had walked 2 miles in the wrong direction. We went on faith as we had to walk all the way up hill and found our spot.

We walked down the trail and heard a loud hum. Almost like the the sound of sprinklers but harsher. My first rattle snake telling h us to get the fuck back. At least they are caring enough to let us know. It was a beautiful snake.

The temperature kept goin up by 1:30 pm and we had 6 mikes to go. We had to cross two mountains to see lake Morena in the distance and everything was hurting. I will be more prepared with my real food and hold a little more water if possible

Last thing, my thighs began to rub so bad but I pressed on. By mile 13, I knew it was bad, but how bad I wasn't sure. I figured sme lotion would be fine so I rubbed it on and felt the strongest chemical burning sensation since Ed Norton in fight club. Now my inner legs are rubbed off and I might not even hike tomorrow to heal up. Big John told me to wear a kilt. I might seriously take his suggestion.

-king st







1 comment:

  1. Hope the chafing issue can be resolved soon and you are able to enjoy the rest of your hike.

    ReplyDelete