About Me

The Pacific Crest Trail runs ~2,650 miles from Mexico to Canada, and I want to share my journey with all of you! Please subscribe by email to receive entries automatically when I write them! Bon Voyage!

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Dante's Inferno, Miles 600-650

I originally wrote this on paper. Here it is.

6-4-13

So this is the limit of every human being. I am sitting in the partial shade of a Joshua Tree. Its 1:30pm. The shade is constantly moving. I have to move with it. It must be 15-20 degrees warmer on the border of the shade. Its safe to say that I am in the middle of nowhere. Mile 619. This is the driest, harshest place yet. I try to stay positive, but all I can do is vent my thoughts. Its keeping me going. I have 3 liters of water left for 14 miles of triple digit mountain climbing. fuck. I am alone. Believe it or not, my spirit is high. I should be fine. I am prepared for this. Big clouds are in the distance. I wish they were here. Hopefully no snakes try to join my shade. I have been in more extreme heat in israel so i actually feel calm out here. I am lucky to have that experience.

Joshua trees are spiny, but they provide some shade. I know this point would come where 3 feet of shade is all the land would offer. It seems impossible to hike at this hour. The shade is moving again. I have had to move 5 times now to stay in it. The ants cant stand it either, they are almost in a hypnotic sleep state. We all need to conserve our energy. As crazy as this place is, its beautiful. You cannot see this as an obstacle. it is simply the earth that we call home. Thinking of it in a negative way, only makes it worse.

Over and over i repeat to myself: "Today I choose to be more optimistic. When I think of the future, I drop pessimism."

I feel that this quote has saved my sanity for the last 48 hours.

Tomorrow, there is a 20 mile gap with no water, followed by a 16 mile gap with no water, then a 15, and then another 20.

I push on.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering where you were! You continue to inspire me with your optimism and positive spin on things. Thank you!

    Keep your spirits high!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete