About Me

The Pacific Crest Trail runs ~2,650 miles from Mexico to Canada, and I want to share my journey with all of you! Please subscribe by email to receive entries automatically when I write them! Bon Voyage!

Saturday, June 8, 2013

The Shifting Sands Mile 500-600

This is exactly what I expected from the Mojave. It sucks. I slept in a ditch next to the CA Aqueduct. There were broken computer monitors, tires, and I found out that I slept next to a dead goat carcass. No joke. I reiterate, this place is famously nasty. Nothing to like except that there was a 15 mile stretch that was FLAT. We have not encountered "flat" yet, but it had no shade. So fucking hot out there. Finally, I made it to a bridge with a water cache and shade and we were trapped under the bridge to ride out the hottest part of the day. I also had a pretty intense run in with a rattle snake that morning so everything looks like snakes when your looking out for snakes. It doesnt put you at ease.

The night I slept by the goat carcass was a test for my spirit. The winds were around 65mph and roared over my head at night, keeping me awake. At one point the wind shifted 180 degrees, and began blowing sand into my face. Not a fun night. There will never be a worse place to sleep on the PCT, so thats good. At 6:00am, a pick up truck pulled up to us and stared for a while. Also not cool. I got hiking in the morning and never looked back.

Sorry for no pictures, they were on my phone which died.


No comments:

Post a Comment