About Me

The Pacific Crest Trail runs ~2,650 miles from Mexico to Canada, and I want to share my journey with all of you! Please subscribe by email to receive entries automatically when I write them! Bon Voyage!

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Held Up in Hiker Haven, Casa De Luna, Swollen Ankle, Infected foot

So, I can finally write on my blog again, my phone broke so I have to recap these details. This is where I left off...

Hiker Haven was amazing. I was so tired when I arrived and was able to fully recover with food, beer, rest, more beer, more food, little rest, and some amazing times with Dog, Hot Mess, Sassgorilla, 30 Pack, and G-Dub. I stayed 2 nights and had visits to REI which was creepy because it was minutes away from where I grew up in Northridge. I went from desert isolation to LA. My parents and my uncle were able to meet me so that was really fantastic. Whenever family visits, its rejuvenating. Thanks Uncle Eric, Mom and Dad!

Then I pressed on to the next day with more energy than I have ever had in my life. All of that rest and food was so helpful. Bursting with energy. My pack was lighter because i replaced my old sleeping bag with a lighter and warmer one.

Regarding all of that energy I had, I flew up mountains, and ran down them. I passed hikers one after another and didnt need to break. By 18 miles i started to feel a little tired when I got to the famous Oasis Water Cache. I pulled off my shoes to let my feet breathe and started picking at a healed blister at the bottom of my feet. It was thick skin so I thought that using my knife wouldnt be necessary. But as I pulled the skin, and entire new section of healed skin ripped off! I was bleeding fast and it had a very high chance of infection. Dust blew into the wound and I would have another 6 miles to the next trail angels house: Casa De Luna.

Casa De Luna is considered the biggest party spot on the PCT. I hitched into Green Valley (a fire recently after I left swept through that town!) and a crowd of drunk hikers partying in the front yard roared with cheers and cat calls as I rolled into the driveway. I found out that every hiker that arrives at Casa De Luna gets this welcoming. Its awesome. There was a huge BBQ and every hiker gets a plate of nachos the size of their head. I had 2. The rest of the property was in the back. A huge hill covered with manzanita trees, providing around 50 camp sites. I finally checked in on my foot wound and it was indeed infected. This meant no hiking for a few days, and I found a great place to rest, at least during the day when the drinking was moderate.The next morning I awoke to a mighty foot infection and swollen right ankle. Like I said, i had the prefect place to rest.

The driest, ugliest, hottest section (250 miles) lay ahead. Lets rock this.

No comments:

Post a Comment