About Me

The Pacific Crest Trail runs ~2,650 miles from Mexico to Canada, and I want to share my journey with all of you! Please subscribe by email to receive entries automatically when I write them! Bon Voyage!

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Simpler Times Ahead

I love this life!! I have never been so miserable one moment and elated the other. I'm sun burned, low on water and food.

Then I realize, mile 100.

I cannot believe that I have walked that far in 5 days in desert heat, with minimal water sources and with so many amazing strangers who I feel are family. The big change that pct hikers go through in the first few weeks is as real as the cold beer in coolers left by the trail angels.

As I walked miles 88-95 alone, the heat, the distance and my sore feet were getting the better of me. Then a hiker named Bones walked by and our conversation took my mind off of the pain and we cruised to mile 100!

We weren't done yet though because we saw a sign shortly after saying "simpler times are ahead". Could they be referring to trader joes simpler times? Then another sign said "beware of free chili dogs ahead." Somehow bones and I actually started RUNNING (already hiked 23.5 miles).

We zoomed down the last .5 miles and found a few trailers around a BBQ calling us in. Coolers of beer, soda, and other drinks lined up next to hot dogs and cookies. There was a station to wash our hands and a place to get out blisters and other injuries checked. These were Trail Angels and they call is act Trail Magic.

Now I'm laying under the stars and listening to frogs croak and bats click in the sky. Warner Sprigs is only 9 miles away and it's the finale of section A.



2 comments:

  1. This is so awesome, so proud of you! I want to be your trail angel :)
    allie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those trail angels sound amazing, Ben! I'd run for beer and BBQ too. So glad you're meeting people and making such amazing memories.

    Also, the automated word thing that you have to type to comment said "tenacity". I think that's fitting.

    ReplyDelete